Even if you’ve never raised money for a charity before, hopefully these tips will help you make your Mitzvah project even more successful!
1 START EARLY
This is probably the most important advice we can give. The earlier you start, the more successful you will be. Your fundraising will benefit from a focused plan.
2 IDENTIFY YOUR POTENTIAL SPONSORS
Create a list identifying everyone you know. Among those to include are:
- Family: siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and your extended family
- Friends of your parents
- Parents of your friends
- Anyone who has ever asked you for money. Don’t be shy. Think big!
3 PERSONALIZE YOUR FUNDRAISING EMAIL
- Know your audience
- Tailor your emails to reach out to different audiences
- Ensure that your audience understands the importance of Boys Town Jerusalem (BTJ) and understands that the money you raise will help improve the lives of almost 1,000 youth-at-risk in Jerusalem
- Provide stories or personal thoughts on BTJ.
4 SET A HIGH STANDARD
Here’s a tried-and-true method for raising the Bar:) line up a significant donation before you publicly launch your fundraising campaign. If the contribution is made online, it will automatically be posted to your BTJ Bar/ Bar Mitzvah Campaign page. If not, make sure it is posted before you send your email directing potential donors to the page.When they get there, they will see the donation and be ready to follow by example.
5 SHOW AND WHEN TO USE SOCIAL MEDIA
Think of how many emails adults send a day (a bunch); every single one of them is a great way to let people know you’re raising money for your Bar/Bat Mitzvah Campaign to benefit BTJ. Have them create an email signature i.e., “____ is raising money for their Bar/ Bat Mitzvah Campaign to benefit BTJ. Visit my web page.” Social media is a great way to let people know you’re raising money for BTJ. Please like our Facebook page, if you have not already done so and send the link out to your friends. Just keep in mind, Social media may not be the best places to ask for a larger donation. Historically, these venues yield large numbers of smaller donations. The most effective way to use these venues would be to begin your fund raising campaign with your email/snail mail asking your target base for significant contributions. Announce your Bar/ Bat Mitzvah Campaign to benefit BTJ on social media a week after you’ve personally reached out to your closer circle of friends.
Remind your donors and not-yet-donors of your progress. Talk about your feelings about your upcoming Bar/Bat Mitzvah and helping the students of BTJ . Like a good advertising campaign, you want to keep your message in front of your audience’s eyes.
7 THANK YOUR SPONSORS FOR THEIR SUPPORT
- Keep track of all sponsors and sponsor amounts. You can export a list of your sponsors and their donations from your BTJ Mitzvah dashboard.
- Tell donors about your progress in regular emails and/or letters.
- Don’t forget thank you emails or notes! Let your sponsors know how appreciative you are of their support.